There are two things that can devastate a boating holiday at Rottnest Island – running out of water and a broken down desalination plant.
After spending time recently with water maker guru Richard Hansen from RO Solutions, I was given some tips about how to prepare for the Xmas break and avoid disaster…Yes, I know, a first world problem:
1. Run your 240V desal every week or two throughout the year. Lack of use will kill it!
2. Set the system to automatic fresh water flush
3. If you don’t have an auto flush system, then give it an annual chemical sterilisation, particularly now before peak usage
4. Best to run the system when the water in the bay is relatively silt free. i.e. Unless you have huge primary sand filters, running your desal while moored in Thomson Bay in an easterly breeze can prematurely clog up your filters.
5. Carry at least three sets of spare pre filters onboard
Feel free to give me a call if you are chasing some expert help. Brendon Grieve 0409 620 336