What is a buyer’s agent?
Similar to a seller’s agent who is engaged by the vendor, the buyer’s agent is contractually engaged by the buyer to represent his or her best interests in the purchase of a motor yacht.
Who engages a buyer’s agent?
Astute people hire professionals when parting with this amount of money to invest in shares or an investment property. Buying a motor yacht is no different and navigating the minefield of information…and misinformation for the inexperienced can be daunting. If you get it wrong, it can cost you a lot of money and also potentially put your family off side.
If the words Yacht Controller, Gyro, C Zone, Skyhook, Boening or pod drive sound like a foreign language, then you should consider engaging a buyers agent.
If you are time poor, inexperienced in luxury motor yacht brands, models or systems, or feel intimidated by the whole process and want someone to negotiate on your behalf who can offer experienced, objective, unemotional assistance, then a buyer’s agent may be worth considering..…and let’s face it, unless you have a contractual agreement for a boat broker to source a vessel for you, how much time are they going to invest over and above showing you their own listings.
Why choose Motoryachts Unlimited as your representative?
Well, to be honest there is not a lot of choice in the Australian marine industry if you’re a buyer looking for representation. The industry is full of brokers and dealers solely representing the sellers, but when it comes to sourcing independent advice, where do you look?
Marine surveyors aren’t necessarily the answer. They are generally focused on looking for structural and mechanical faults but not necessarily familiar with market values, available brands, technology or overall vessel performance.
After decades of selling luxury boats and a lifetime in the marine industry, Brendon Grieve realised there was a gaping hole in the market. As a result, he established Motoryachts Unlimited to fill that void and offer a premium service to luxury boat buyers.
Brendon has three decades of experience in the marine industry and in that time has established contacts and partners throughout Australia and over seas.
While representing Princess Yachts and Riviera, both brands innovators and leaders in their market segment, Brendon has been exposed to much of the latest technology they adopted in their new models. This has been complimented by his involvement as a broker of pre-loved luxury motor yachts.
Working closely with industry technicians and hosting WA’s first 24 hour owner support network, Brendon has learnt what to look for, but more importantly, what to watch out for.
Advantages of engaging Motoryachts Unlimited as your buyer’s agent
There are plenty of other reasons why you should work with Motoryachts Unlimited when buying a luxury vessel, read on….
- Motoryachts Unlimited are working for YOU, not the seller, as an independent consultant
- Our staff are trained in negotiation, potentially saving you tens of thousands of dollars on the purchase price and by adding value to the overall package.
- Our buying fee is paid on success only. If we don’t help you acquire a vessel you are happy with, then we don’t get paid
- We value motoryachts every day, this is our business, unlike individual buyers who purchase boats every 3 – 10 years. Our daily experience and intimate product and market knowledge will help you acquire the best vessel
- You get an experienced researcher and negotiator working for you who knows the tricks of the trade, whether you are purchasing new or pre-loved
- We maintain discretion where required
- We can quickly and accurately eliminate vessels on the market that don’t suit your profile saving you time and stress
- We remove emotion from the purchasing and negotiating process
- We save you money by advising you what not to buy and what to look out for
- Gains access to a wider range of vessels, many of which may not be actively for sale
- We can access vessels sales history unavailable to the public
- We know the market and market value of vessels ensuring YOU don’t pay too much
- We are experienced in the many options available in luxury pleasure boats, their pros and cons
- We are armed with decades of experience in the industry and are up to date with values and available technology
- We can interpret the results of pre purchase inspections for you
How does it work? Motoryachts Unlimited as your buyer’s agent
- Initial consultation explaining the advantages of a using a buyers agent
- Once you are happy to proceed, an upfront engagement fee is paid and paperwork signed
- We establish your motivation to purchase a motoryacht and a wish list is created
- Discuss market values and what you can realistically expect to purchase within your budget
- Conduct local and/or international research in order to prepare a list of potential vessels
- Advise on the merits of individual vessels
- Arrange for you to view those vessels in the final selection
- Conduct enquiries to establish vessel history
- Engage in negotiation for the purchase on your behalf
- Assist in the wording of special conditions in the offer and acceptance to maximise value for you
- Explain the terms and conditions in the sellers contract (Note: Occasionally expert legal advice may be required)
- Arrange and oversee pre-purchase inspections and interpret the results in your language
- Manage the post inspection negotiation if there are onboard items requiring attention
- Monitor the settlement process to ensure it runs smoothly on your behalf
- Upon settlement, final success fee is paid
- Advise on post purchase vessel maintenance management schedules and crewing if required
- Assist with the handover to ensure you are comfortable with vessel handling and operation
Frequently Asked Questions:
What about conflict of interest?
If you engage Motoryachts Unlimited as your buyer’s agent then they are working exclusively for you and therefore obliged not to accept additional conjunctional fees from the seller or sellers agent unless otherwise agreed by the buyer.
What if I buy a vessel represented by Motoryachts Unlimited as the selling agent, when I have already contracted them as a buyer’s agent?