Tip 1 – Preventing blockages
- Use the correct toilet paper that won’t cause blockages
- Avoid using strong cleaners that may dissolve the toilet seals (i,e bleach based products)
- Other than toilet paper, if it hasn’t been digested, don’t flush it down!
Tip 2 – Hissing noise coming from the toilet bowl
- The seal between the bowl and the vacuum seal beak is braking down
- This could be due to detritus such as toilet paper stuck on one of the seal surfaces
- A bucket of warm soapy water and a scrub around the opening with a toilet brush will generally fix this
Tip 3 – Bowl filled with water and it won’t pump out
- Have you switched on the toilet circuit breaker?
- Have you switched on the toilet vacuum pump? This is either on the main switch board or located in the bathroom near the toilet flushing switch
- Is the holding tank full? If so, the limit switch may have cut power to the toilet system
- There could be a blockage at the bowl end or the duck bill valves are stuck open at the vacuum pump end in the engine room
- Sewerage smells coming from your boat could mean a blocked Vent Filter
- Change your holding tank Vent Filters annually
- Carry spare duck bill valves onboard at all times and replace them every few years as they eventually lose their flexibility and functionality